Here are 20 of my favorite Dylan songs, no particular order:
- Lay Lady Lay- I imagine a young bohemian bedding a woman in a motel of questionable quality named “The Mermaid”
- Like A Rolling Stone- Just damn good
- Sweetheart Like You- Knopfler + Dylan=Great
- Most Of The Time- Thank High Fidelity for this one. Awesome
- John Wesley Harding- I love how he sings on this one
- Jokerman- Ever doubt yourself?
- Ballad Of Frankie Lee And Judas Priest- “Don’t go mistaking paradise for that home across the road”
- You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go- What a love he must have had to be able to write this!
- Shelter From The Storm- I think every man needs this every now and then. Every human, really
- You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere- I love this song. Some of his best songwriting
- 4th Time Around- The picking on this is great, and the story it tells is very human
- Queen Jane Approximately- Just good.
- Boots Of Spanish Leather– Kill. Me. Now
- Don’t Think Twice- How many hearts has this man broken? And how many people have cried from this during/after a breakup?
- Tangled Up In Blue- So sad! So hopeful! So epic!
- Simple Twist Of Fate- So sad and human
- Idiot Wind- I think this is one of Dylan’s most cutting songs, very funny in an insulting way
- Buckets Of Rain- “You do what you must do, and you do it well”
- Corrina, Corrina- I just want to sit in on a hot porch and listen to this on vinyl
- Girl From The North Country- Cold. Sad. Good.
I’m obviously leaving a lot of songs out. Many, probably because I don’t have the album yet. I need to give Dylan more real estate in my iTunes top played.